Monday, September 9, 2013

That Playfield is so clean you could eat off of it (if you like your food to taste like Novus and wax.)

Lets look at a couple of pics of how dirty this playfield was when it came to me.



 

 

So I finally got the playfield stripped, cleaned and waxed! My method was to use Novus 1 for the initial clean of the really built up dirt. Then I went into a couple of the area that had ground in dirt and hit them with Magic eraser. Next up was a thorough going over with Novus 2. lastly I did three coats of wax. I decided to try a new wax that was highly recommended on all of the forums and sold by Pinball Life, my preferred online parts shop. I bought the little jar so I could test it out and not commit to 30$. The results were fine but did not blow me away. Plus because it came in a tiny little jar it was kind of a pain to use, so the second and third coat were meguires gold wax, which people also swear by. It works well, but I was really hoping to get that mirror shine others get after a wax job, but I have come to the conclusion you need a clearcoated playfield if you want that, so while I am extremely happy with the way the cleaning went, the waxing will just help keep that ball rolling and protect the playfield but did not add a ton of shine. Still take a look, the playfield looks great!

So now it is on to putting everything back where I found it.

I should really document how I do my playfield teardowns, I think I will save it for a later date though so I can take a few pictures of my set up.

1 comment:

  1. Looking really nice Steve!!
    Now is the best time to rebuild those pops.

    ReplyDelete